An exercise electrocardiogram (EKG) is a cardiovascular stress test that uses a treadmill exercise with (EKG) and blood pressure monitoring. Sometimes EKG abnormalities can only be seen during exercise.
The stress test is performed at the Alpharetta location and is available at all times. The technician places 10 flat, sticky patches called electrodes on your chest. These patches are attached to an EKG monitor that follow the electrical activity of your heart during the test.
While you are walking on the treadmill, the technician will ask you to walk faster and will increase the incline of the treadmill. This causes more resistance and will increase your heart rate. Your blood pressure is also monitored during the test.
The treadmill stress test takes about 60 minutes and will continue until:
- You reach a target heart rate
- You experience chest pain or an concerning increase in blood pressure
- The EKG monitoring suggests that you are not receiving enough oxygen to your heart muscle
- You become too tired to continue, or experience leg pain
Alpharetta Internal Medicine uses exercise stress testing, which is fully or partially covered in part by insurance, to estimate prognosis and determine functional capacity, to assess the probability and extent of coronary disease, and to assess the effects of therapy.
Diagnostic Results of an Exercise Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Determine possible cause of chest pain or pressure
- Help to offer best treatment for people who suffer from angina
- Find possible cause of dizziness, fainting, or irregular heartbeats (palpitations)
- Check to see if the person has possible heart disease
If your stress test results are abnormal it may mean that you have a blockage in the arteries that supply your heart with blood and oxygen. You may then be advised to have other tests performed such as a nuclear thallium stress test or stress echocardiography.
Alpharetta and Cumming Internal Medicine has experienced staff and physicians who can help you live your life to its fullest. If you live north of Atlanta in Roswell, Woodstock, Johns Creek, Suwanee or Canton, you are just a short distance from the best primary care in Georgia. Call us at 770/475-2377 to schedule an appointment today!